We named our Airstream- - Full Time in an Airstream- Our little remodel of an Airstream - Flying Cloud 30 foot Bunk Model
About a week ago we purchased a new-to-us 2015 Airstream. It is a Flying Cloud, 30 foot bunk model. We are currently living in it full time. Living full time in an Airstream is a cakewalk when you have spent 2+ months moving in and out of rentals and hotels and tent camping. We are just barely into our US roadtrip so it seemed like the perfect time to get a home on wheels and stop unpacking and repacking suitcases. Like every good home it needed a name so we named it... Introducing "Runaway Mayzie."
If you have ever read, "Horten Hatches an Egg" you will certainly be familiar with Runaway Mayzie. She is, "still on vacation and still just as lazy." We love Dr. Seuss and it seemed like a funny, self-depricating name for our travel companion. We even have a Dr. Seuss picture hanging in Mayzie's living room area.
When we first got our Airstream she was stock with all of the standard Airstream bedding your heart desires. We immediately started personalizing her. The before and afters are in this post so you can see...
Here are some tips for making your Airstream feel like home.
- Get new bedding! Seriously, the standard stuff is not cute or comfortable. We bought a standard size queen for the big bed, a queen for the bottom bunk and a twin for the upper bunk (with twin XL sheets.) The sizes aren't perfect but they still fit nicely. You may also want to add a foam mattress topper. The standard mattress isn't comfortable. We bought a 1.5 inch memory foam topper and then tucked the extra length between the mattress and the wall. Some people cut off the extra but we didn't have tools for that and it works perfectly.
- Get yourself some art and 3M tape. We bought one piece for the living room area but we are still looking for another for our bedroom wall. It's really nice to add a pop of color and whimsy. The 3M removes cleanly.
- Pillows and blankets are a must for making the couch feel comfortable and cozy. Plus, if you are using it a lot a blanket on top of the couch with help preserve your couch apolstery.
- Kitchen and bathroom organizers and accessories. Buy everything you can find with suction cups. One of the major bonuses of an Airstream is that you can put suction cups on the Aluminum and leave zero trace when you move them.
- Kitchen counter top accessories. We added a utensial holder and a cute clock with 3M picture hangers so they could be removed and replaced as needed (it's like plastic Velcro.) They stay put and add a little homey feel. We also purchased magnetic spice holders and placed them on the side of the oven vent hood. All of these details make it feel more like a home.
We are so excited to have an Airstream and settle our stuff for a bit. We aren't settling in one place but at least now we can lay our heads on the same bed everynight. Here is our personalized space...